- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Marion County 4-H Council recently met and discussed the following upcoming 4-H events:
• The 4-H Speech contests are underway in the schools beginning March 19 with Lebanon Middle School.
Judges are still needed. If you would like to volunteer, contact the Marion County Extension Office, 692-2421.
• The Marion County 4-H Council will once again be holding their silent auction at the Farm, Home and Garden Show, April 4 and 5. 4-H'ers, leaders and parents will be contacting local businesses for their support with this fundraiser.
If you are not contacted, and have something you would like to donate, please contact the Extension Office, 692-2421.
• The 4-H Sewing Club participants are working on their garments for the Marion/Washington County 4-H Fashion Revue to be held April 28.
• 4-H Camp is currently scheduled for June 2-6, 2009. You may come into the Marion County Extension Office, 415 Fairgrounds Road, to fill out an application and pay a $25 deposit to hold your spot for camp.
The first day of camp may change due to the scheduling of the last day of school (which will also change the cost of camp)
• The 4-H Teen Conference program is designed to develop leadership & citizenship skills, inspire teens to continue their involvement in 4-H and acquaint them with our land-grant university, the University of Kentucky.
Planned and designed to satisfy a wide range of interests everyone will find something that will appeal to them. Delegates choose from among several interest areas for tracks, college visits, tours, workshops and issues seminars.
Objectives accomplished through these activities, plus speakers, group living, recreation, recognition programs, election of officers and Fashion Revue help to ensure active youth involvement.
Contact the Extension Office for more details.
4-H teen conference objectives are:
• To develop leadership, communication and citizenship skills.
• To develop knowledge and skills in specific subjects.
• To gain skills that can be used in club and county 4-H program.
• To have fun, make new friends, and develop social skills.
• To become acquainted with University of Kentucky, college life and career opportunities.
• For youth who have graduated from the 8th grade through age 18 of the current year.
4-H Teen Conference will be held at the U of KY campus, June 8-11 and the fee this year is $150. The deadline to apply is MAY 1, 2009!
The 2009 Marion County Fair 4-H and Open Class exhibits will be entered this year Monday, June 29, 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. in the floral hall building at the Marion County Fairgrounds. We would like to celebrate Marion County's 4-H Centennial by having a display of OLD 4-H photos, projects, news articles, etc. There is a list of special 4-H Centennial projects that may be entered this year.
For a copy of this list, contact the Extension Office. If any older 4-H'er has a project they would like to place in this exhibit, contact the Extension Office, 692-2421.
Also we would like to start a list of past 4-H members here at the office, so call in and register your name with us. There will be a rabbit and poultry show at this year's fair as well as Beef and Dairy shows.
For more information on any of the above events or 4-H in general, please contact the University of Kentucky's Marion County Cooperative Extension Office, 415 Fairgrounds Road, 270-692-2421 and any of the staff will be glad to help you!