Deadline to switch political party is Dec. 31

-A A +A
By The Staff

If citizens want to change their party registration in time to participate in their party's primary election that determines nominees for United States Senator, United States Congressional Representatives, state legislative races, and other partisan offices, they must do so by Dec. 31.

Kentucky state law requires any citizen who wishes to change his/her voter registration and also vote in that party's upcoming primary election must be registered with his/her new party by Dec. 31 of the preceding year. The deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary election or those seeking ballot access as an independent.

While voters who change their party registration after Dec. 31 will not be able to vote in their new party's primary election, they will be able to vote in special elections and non-partisan races.

Those who wish to change their party can complete a voter registration card and submit it to the county clerk in their county of residence by the deadline. Due to the holiday season, please be sure to check with your local county clerk for times that their offices will be open. Registration cards that are mailed must be postmarked by Dec. 31.

Voter registration cards are available at county clerks' offices or on the Vote! Kentucky website, located at www.vote.ky.gov/register.

Races that will appear on the 2010 ballot include, but are not limited to:

• United States Senator • United States Representative • State Senator (even districts) • State Representative • Justice of the Supreme Court, District 3 • District Judge • County Judge/Executive • County Attorney • County Clerk • Property Valuation Administrator • Sheriff • Jailer • County Commissioner • Coroner • Magistrate/Justice of the Peace • Constable • Surveyor • Mayor • City Legislative Body • Board of Education (School Board)

• Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors