- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A pair of Marion County homes were damaged as a result of electrical fires last week on North Spalding Avenue in Lebanon and Spencer Hamilton Road in Loretto.
No people were injured in either fire, but a pet cat did die in the fire on North Spalding Avenue.
North Spalding fire
A house belonging to a local teacher and a former Enterprise and Springfield Sun reporter was damaged by a fire Aug. 9.
At 11:25 a.m., the Lebanon Fire Department was dispatched to 475 N. Spalding Avenue. When firefighters arrived on scene, smoke was visibly coming from the roof of the house.
The first unit of firefighters were on the scene within four minutes, but Lebanon Fire Chief Ricky Mattingly said there was an issue with fire fighters’ pagers when the initial call came out. Some pagers weren’t working, which meant additional firefighters had to be contacted by telephone.
When firefighters were able to open the front door, they faced a wall of black smoke.
“It was an electrical fire, an electrical short in the basement,” Lebanon Fire Chief Ricky Mattingly said.
The short also burned a hole in a gas line, which further fed the fire, Mattingly said.
The Loretto Fire Department and Marion County EMS assisted at the scene. Lebanon Police helped with traffic control.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:20 that afternoon.
Neither Jesse or Coury Osbourne or their children were at home at the time of the fire. Jesse Osbourne is a former sports correspondent and photographer for the Enterprise and a former editor of The Springfield Sun. Osbourne is an English teacher at Marion County High School.
The house received heat and smoke damage throughout, but the fire damage was mostly in the basement and stairwell, Mattingly said.
The Lebanon Fire Department was called back to 475 N. Spalding Avenue at 6:21 p.m. Friday. Mattingly said they received a report of smoke at the house.
They discovered a little pit of insulation that was still smoldering, but that was contained relatively quickly, he said.
Spencer Hamilton fire
A house fire early in the morning of Aug. 7 damaged a home at 385 Spencer Hamilton Road.
The Lebanon Police Dispatch received a call at 4:36 a.m. Aug. 7 reporting a lot of smoke in the area of the fire. The Loretto and Raywick Fire Departments were dispatched.
By 4:38 a.m., the Lebanon Police Dispatch received a report of fire visible through the roof of the house.
Loretto Fire Chief Tommy Hamilton said the rear of the house received extensive fire damage, and the rest of the house received water and smoke damage.
“The cause seems to be electrical in nature,” Hamilton said.
Hamilton said the house belongs to Jill Mattingly, and all family members were out of town at the time of the fire.
“There were pets, but the pets were being cared for elsewhere,” Hamilton said.
Marion County EMS was also dispatched to the scene.
The scene was cleared at 6:46 a.m. Aug. 7.