- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Kentucky Cooperage is cleaning up after a fire destroyed one of its buildings, which also housed two tractor-trailers, early Tuesday morning.
According to Lebanon Fire Chief Ricky Mattingly, at 12:54 a.m., a fire was reported at Kentucky Cooperage located at 712 East Main Street. When firefighters arrived, a building behind the plant was fully engulfed with flames and the roof was already collapsing, Mattingly said.
All employees were able to evacuate the building and there were no injuries during the fire.
Mattingly said he believes the fire was ignited when a spark caught the ductwork in the building on fire. The building houses two tractor-trailers, which were loaded with saw dust, Mattingly said.
According to the Lebanon Police Department, there was some type of explosion during the fire but police on scene were advised that nothing else was believed to be inside the building except for the two tractor-trailers.
The building and its contents were completely destroyed, Mattingly said.
"They got a heck of a mess to clean up," he said.
Firefighters didn't clear the scene until 6:30 Tuesday morning.
The following is a press release from Kentucky Coooperage:
The team at Kentucky Cooperage is pleased to confirm everyone is safe after an early-morning fire was discovered in a sawdust trailer behind the cooperage.
"Thank you to the Lebanon Fire Department for their prompt and extremely professional response," said Doris Mattingly, office manager. "Fire chief Rick Mattingly did an excellent job overseeing the efforts of this volunteer team. We would also like to thank our associates at the cooperage for doing a fine job controlling the situation."
As there is no significant damage to the main cooperage building or equipment, Kentucky Cooperage has resumed production and will be crafting and shipping barrels according to their normal schedule.