.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire destroys house in Bradfordsville

-A A +A
By Stephen Lega

A Bradfordsville family lost their home as a result of a fire Saturday, April 17.

The Bradfordsville and Gravel Switch fire departments responded to the fire at 5:20 a.m. When they arrived on the scene, they found that the house at 1760 Kedron Road in Bradfordsville was fully involved.

Beverly Whitis said she woke up around 4:45 a.m. and heard what sounded like a can cracking. At first she thought her husband, Gary was in the kitchen having a soft drink. When she heard the noise again, she thought something was wrong, so she walked to the kitchen.

"The whole thing was ablaze," Beverly Whitis said.

She said the fire started around an electrical box and appears to have been an electrical fire.

The Whitises, two of Beverly's sons, Brian and Shelby Jordan (30 and 20, respectively) and Beverly's sister Robin were in the house at the time. Gary and Brian drove to a neighbor's house to call 911.

While all of the people inside got out safely, the Whitises' dogs - Rascal (an 8-year-old rat terrier) and Ted (a 2-year-old Chihuahua) - were not as fortunate. By the time the scene was cleared at 8:18 a.m. The house had been destroyed, as had two cars.

The Red Cross gave them a voucher to stay a few nights at The Hampton Inn. Beverly Whitis said they will be staying with friends and family while they look for a new home. Friends and family have given the Whiteness and Jordans clothes, and Beverly Whitis said they could use furniture to help when they find a new place to live.

"We appreciate anything, but furniture is what we'll mainly need," she said.

Anyone interested in helping can contact the Whitises at (270) 699-1699.

Beverly said she returned to what was left of the house Sunday, and she found a class ring that belonged to one of her sons. She said the entire incident was scary.

"I don't want to go through it again," she said.