Get your ‘orange card’ in Lebanon

-A A +A
By Shelton Young



Hunting seasons are at hand. It’s time to think about Kentucky’s requirement that you hold a Hunter’s Education Certificate a.k.a. orange card.
With very few exceptions, as listed on the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources website, you have to have it!
Even if you’re exempt from the requirement, it’s a good idea to take the class anyway. When I took it, I was exempt from the Kentucky requirement but had to have it to hunt Fort Knox. And, while I thought it would be a total waste of time, I learned a lot!
Your opportunity to take the class here in Marion County will come Sept. 29-30 and Oct. 1. The Thursday and Friday classes will run from 6:30 until 9:30 p.m. The Saturday class starts at 9 a.m. and runs through completion, around noon.
You’ll learn firearm safety, animal identification, laws concerning hunting and other very useful skills. On Saturday, there’ll be a test both written and practical.
This will be held at Floral Hall in the Marion County Fairgrounds.
You can register online and find classes in other counties by going to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resource’s website.
n For all you waterfowlers who wish to enter the drawing for blind sites on Green River and the Wildlife Management Area, mark Sept. 24 on your calendar. On that Saturday (Ham Days Saturday), you’ll need to be at the Green River Corps of Engineer’s Office early.
You can register at 9 a.m. EST with the site drawings starting at 10 a.m. EST. When, and if, you are drawn, you have your choice of available sites. You can then construct a blind and have exclusive use of the site, with a few restrictions.
Just remember, you must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid 2010-11 Kentucky Hunting License, a Kentucky Waterfowl Permit and a Federal Migratory Bird Permit (waterfowl stamp permit) at the time of the drawing.
The available blind sites are on the lake and in “Knifley Bottoms,” Wildlife Management Areas. Don’t think the name is really Knifley Bottoms but that’s what we know it by.
n Here’s the rundown on our Ham Days Outdoor Weekend Sept. 17 and 18.
Our Kid’s Day will run from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Depending on funding, we’ll have some “bouncies” and I’m waiting to hear about the availability of canoes.
The Mid-Kentucky Bass Anglers’ guys will offer bass boat rides and, of course, there’ll be fishing from the bank too.
For the kids, there’ll be an “any species” tournament. If it’s a legal fish, it’ll be weighed.
Most total weight wins a trophy. Kids are those under 16 years of age.
Then, starting at 6 p.m., the Marion County Sportmans Club will host a trap shoot.
On Sunday, the MCSC will host a 3D Archery Shoot. Registration is between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Entry classes are: cubs for those 10 and under; youth for those 11-15 year olds; and women; hunter (fixed pins); and open.
The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for youth/cubs.
While the Archery Shoot is going on at Sportsman Lake, the Mid Kentucky Bass Anglers will host an open bass tournament on Fagan Branch.
Entry will be $20 per angler with payback at 50/30/20 percent. Big bass of the day will receive a “Big Pig” trophy.
It should be a fun, competitive weekend to kick off the 2011 Ham Days events. So, come on out and enjoy!
n Our big Labor Day holiday is coming up. This is sort of the “end of summer” three-day weekend where “excess” is sometimes the theme.
Too much traffic, too many people on the lake and too much consumption of adult beverages! How’s that for being politically correct? When, in reality, we all know I mean there’ll be several drunk boaters and drivers. So, be careful out there.
n If you picked the paper up Tuesday, or it was delivered Wednesday, this is your last notice to “get legal” for our dove and Canada goose seasons, that open Sept. 1, that’s Thursday!
For doves, you need a Kentucky Hunting License and Dove Permit or Kentucky Waterfowl Permit.
For the geese, you’ll need our 2010-11 Kentucky Hunting License, Kentucky Waterfowl Permit and Federal Migratory Bird Permit (duck stamp).
If you have your 2010-11 Kentucky Sportman’s License, all you need is your Federal Duck Stamp. The Dove Permit and Kentucky Waterfowl permit are included in the Sportsman’s license.
Guess that’s it for now. Get out and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer. Stay safe and I’ll see ya next week.