New details released in Raywick murder investigation

-A A +A
By Stephen Lega

David Litsey Jr. was 22 years old when he died Nov. 9, 2012. He would have turned 24 last week.
The trial for the man accused of killing him is scheduled for July 14, although the trial has been rescheduled multiple times already.
Christopher Gribbins, 47, of 821 Dangerfield Road in Hodgenville remains in custody at the Marion County Detention Center, while his trial is pending. Gribbins is the owner of the Raywick Bar and Grill, where Litsey was shot. Litsey later died at Spring View Hospital.
Gribbins is accused of murder in connection with Litsey’s death and of second-degree assault for a separate incident involving a different man a few hours before Litsey was shot.
On June 2, Commonwealth’s Attorney Shelly Miller filed a notice of intent to introduce other crimes, wrongs or acts in the murder case. Miller’s notice referred specifically to the assault case, which stemmed from an incident that occurred Nov. 8, 2012.
According to the court records, Marion Circuit Judge Dan Kelly overruled Miller’s motion, writing “no direct evidence of prior assault case” on the June 2 court docket.


New details
In support of her notice of intent to introduce other crimes, Miller included a copy of the Kentucky State Police report related to the Nov. 8, 2012, incident. According to that record, Gribbins and Michael Gibson, 50, of 209 Broadway Street in Raywick were arrested on charges of second-degree assault and terroristic threatening.
On Sept. 5, 2013, Gibson pled guilty to an amended charge of fourth-degree assault against Franklin. The terroristic threatening charge was dismissed.
That same day, Gibson received 24 months of probation with the condition that he “must testify truthfully” against Gribbins.
According to the report by Detective Bradly Stotts, much of the information about the assault of Phillip Franklin, now 22, of Springfield was uncovered during the investigation into Litsey’s death.
Stotts noted that he arrived at the Raywick Bar and Grill at 3:20 a.m. Nov. 9, 2012. A state trooper and members of the Marion County Sheriff’s Office were on scene.
Stotts was informed that people who transported Litsey to the hospital had described the shooter as being an “average sized white male” who was working at the front door of the bar and collecting money earlier in the night.
Stotts conducted interviews with Gribbins, Gibson and Mike Lobb, all of whom worked at the bar.
According to the report, Gribbins initially told Stotts that he didn’t hear the shot but was told about it. Gribbins also said “a bunch of black guys” were fighting before the shooting occurred, and no bouncers were outside at the time of the shooting, the report reads.
Gibson told Stotts that there had been scuffles at the bar before the shooting, adding that he had been threatened with a knife, but he also said that “none of the colored guys had been fighting inside” that night.
According to the report, Gibson also said he was out back when the shooting occurred. Gibson told Stotts that he ran out front and got a glimpse of the person who’d been shot as people were putting him in a car.
Stotts informed Gibson that he had been indentified as having broken up a fight earlier, pulled out a weapon and struck someone with it. Gibson responded that wasn’t him, but he did say he carries a weapon sometimes, that he did have concealed weapons permit and that he had been stabbed at the bar previously, according to the report.
Stotts reported that Gibson said he did have his weapon when he went out into the crowd that night, but he maintained that he did not pull the gun on anyone.
Gibson agreed to a collection of gun residue kit, although he said he had been shooting a high-powered rifle before he came to the bar, according to the report.
After he collected the gun residue kit, Stotts reported that Gibson took him to the rear patio, where Gibson retrieved a Kimber 1911 pistol. He told Stotts that it “freaked him out” when he heard someone had been shot because he didn’t know if he could have the weapon at the bar.
Mark Lobb, another person identified as a bouncer at the bar, denied knowing about the shooting, and said he was told about it when he was taking out the trash, according to the report.
Lobb said that he did not have a firearm and that he had not fired one in more than seven years, according to the report. Lobb added that he had not seen anyone take out a firearm that night and he agreed to a gun residue kit.
During a second interview, Gribbins told Stotts that the bouncers performed crowd control, and that Lobb also cooked and did janitorial duties. Gribbins also told Stotts that Lewis Clements checked IDs at the door, but added that Clements left around midnight, about an hour and a half before the shooting. Gribbins also said that both he and Gibson took money at the door and that Gibson checked IDs as well, according to the report.
Stotts took photographs at the scene and of people who were at the bar when he conducted his initial interviews.
Stotts later interviewed Deshawn Douglas, who was identified as one of the people who transported Litsey to the hospital. Douglas said that he saw a fight going on and saw Litsey trying to break it up, according to the report.
Douglas added that he’d gotten out of the car, heard a gunshot, turned and saw Litsey on the ground. According to the report, Douglas identified one of the “dudes that was taking up the money” as the shooter, and he described the weapon as a black pistol. Douglas said the shooter was not the younger of the guys taking money, but he was unable to indentify anyone in the photos Stotts provided.
Sheriff Jimmy Clements later contacted Stotts. The sheriff said Franklin contacted him about being assaulted at the bar, and that William Cochran came by the office and said he was a witness to the shooting. Cochran described the shooter as being between 5’8” and 5’10” and added that he believed he was the owner of the bar, according to the report.
Stotts later interviewed Cochran. According to the report, Cochran said he walked outside, and Litsey pulled up in a white car a few minutes later. He told Stotts that Litsey moved past him in a “power walk” toward a guy and the guy had a gun. Cochran added that he originally thought the guy fired his gun in the air, but Litsey fell to the ground.
Cochran also told Stotts that the shooter was saying, “They were surrounding me,”  but according to Cochran, Litsey was the only “boy of color within ten feet.” Cochran also described the gun as looking like a 9mm.
When shown photos of people at the bar, Cochran recognized Lewis Clements as someone who collects money and Gibson as a bouncer. Cochran added that Gibson wasn’t around when the shooting happened, according to the report.
When shown a photo of Gribbins, Cochran responded “there’s your shooter,” according to the report.
Stotts also spoke with Franklin, who had visible facial injuries. According to the report, Franklin said he was asked to step outside by the bar’s bouncers about five minutes after he arrived. Franklin told Stotts that they shoved him into a picnic table and started frisking him, that they told him they’d heard he was going to rob them, and that he had a gun. Franklin denied the claims and two pistols were pointed at his face, according to the report.
Franklin also told Stotts that the bigger guy choked him and hit him in the forehead with the butt of a gun, and the other guy hit him in the side of the face with his pistol butt, the report reads. Franklin also said a third guy hit him as well, but that person did not have a gun, according to the report.
When looking at photos, Franklin identified Gribbins as having hit him in the face and Gibson as “the bigger guy.”
Stotts also reported that Franklin’s girlfriend said a man grabbed Franklin when they went outside and laid him over a picnic table. She also said one man had his hands around Franklin’s neck while another had a gun in his hand, but later one man pointed a gun at Franklin’s face and hit him in the forehead with a gun and another struck him on the side of the face, according to the report.
She also said both guns were pistols. She later identified Gibson as one of the assailants from a photo, but could not identify anyone else.
After completing his interviews, Stotts got arrest warrants for Gribbins for the murder of Litsey and the assault on Franklin and for Gibson for the assault on Franklin.
Stotts reported that Gribbins was arrested in LaRue County and that he consented to a search of a Chevrolet Tahoe in the driveway. Inside the vehicle, Stotts located a Glock 22 pistol, which Gibson said he’d purchased in Lebanon after he’d spoken with Stotts earlier.