- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Marion County Board of Education is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, at the board office for a public hearing on the proposed 2014 tax rate.
Last year, the school board set its tax rate at 53.8 cents per $100 of real and personal property.
The board has scheduled a public hearing to consider increasing that rate to 55.7 cents per $100 of real and personal property for this year.
Lisa Caldwell, chief financial officer for Marion County Public Schools, explained that the 55.7-cent rate would generate around $5.7 million, or 4 percent more revenue than last year's rate (excluding new property).
This year’s compensating rate would be 53.4 cents. The compensating rate would generate the same revenue as the previous year, or around $5.5 million (excluding new property).
To put this at a more personal level, Caldwell explained at the Aug. 12 school board meting that someone with $50,000 in taxable property would pay $279 at the 55.7-cent rate and $267 at the 53.4-cent compensating rate, a difference of $12.
Taxpayers should note this these figures only include proposed property taxes to be paid to Marion County Public Schools, which is not the only local agency that collects property taxes.
School board meeting will follow public hearing
The school board is also scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, at the board office. During that meeting, the board could approve its tax rate for the 2014-15 academic year.
The agenda includes the following:
- Superintendent’s report
• Student learning services
- Consider approval of update for policy and procedures 03.27, 03.27 AP.1, and 03.27 AP.21 for Discipline of Classified Employees
- Consider approval of update for procedure 09.33 AP.2 for Booster/Support Club Agreement
- Consider approval of update for KSBA 504 Policies & Procedures
- Consider approval of RFP for architect services for the 2015 District Facility Plan
- Consider approval of Section 503.3 (findings of minor change for the 2011District Facility Plan)
• Student support services
- Consider approval of 2014-15 school year tax rates
- Consider approval of creation of Fund 21 for district activity funds
- Consider approval of salary for 21st Century Director for 2014-15 school year
- Consider approval for overnight/100 mile student field trips
• Student learning and support consent items
- Approve minutes of Aug. 12, 2014, regular meeting
- Approve school fundraisers
- Approval of update for ARC & 504 chairpersons for 2014-15 school year
- Consider approval of annual contract with Micro-Analytics for 2014-15 school year for AHERA asbestos periodic surveillance and records management for $1,500
- Approval of the interscholastic Athletics and extracurricular Activities Funding Agreement with the Marion County Fiscal Court for $10,000
- Approval of multi-handicap pay (IDEA) for the following classified staff for the 2014-15 school year : Lynn Sallee, Janice Hoppes, Stacey Hickey, Betty Sullivan
- Approval of the following classified staff for an additional $1.00 per day (special needs route) for the 2014-2015 school year: Charles Cambron, Karen Lindsey, Harry Thomas, Alice Tungate, Tim VanDyke
- Approval of Tyler Campbell, instructional assistant at St. Charles Middle School, from 6 hours a day to 8 hours a day, effective August 26, 2014
- Acknowledge notifications of all personnel actions