.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Gas, Mother Jones and E911

    Sunday night I was watching television when I saw a commercial promoting the natural gas industry. The spokeswoman referred to hydraulic fracturing as proven safe and reliable.
    The intent was clear: hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, is nothing to worry about.
    It seems a little optimistic to make that claim. The EPA is in the process of conducting its own study (see here: http://www2.epa.gov/hfstudy).

  • Kentucky is trying to do more with less

    Shortly after Governor Beshear first took office in late 2007, he remarked that not only did he find the cupboard bare, it was actually gone.
    It hasn’t gotten any easier since then. Cumulative budget cuts over the last six years have reached $1.6 billion, the state government workforce has shrunk to its smallest size in 40 years and the list of needs continues to grow faster than the revenue coming in.

  • Quilt show postponed until Feb. 1

     The Heart of Kentucky Quilt Show has been postponed due to weather and road conditions.

    The quilt show has been rescheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 1, at the Marion County Heritage Center.

  • Jan. 25 girls basketball game has been cancelled

    The girls basketball game against Henry Clay scheduld for Saturday, Jan. 25, has been cancelled,  according to Marion County Athletic Director Robby Peterson.

    The Marion County boys freshmen basketball game against Berea County also scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 25, has been cancelled.

  • 55-year-old man dies in Penick Road fire Friday

    A Marion County man died in a house fire Friday night at 885 Penick Road.

    Gerald "G.C." Mays Jr., 55, died as a result of a fire, which appears to have been started in a wood-burning stove, according to a preliminary investigation by the Kentucky State Police. Mays was the only person in the residence, the state police reported.

    The Lebanon Police Dispatch received a call reporting the fire at 6:23 p.m. Jan. 24. Firefighters remained on the scene until 11:21 p.m. Friday.

  • City reminds public of political sign limitations

     The City of Lebanon issued the following announcement regarding political signs:

    City of Lebanon Ordinance 05-11 prohibits election signs to be erected more than 60 days prior to an election, and they must be removed within 5 days following the election.  Election signs may not be placed on public property, on rocks, trees, public fences, sign post, or on utility poles on public property.

     

  • Library will host Bluegrass program Friday

    The "Bluegrass in the Schools" program will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24, at the Marion County Public Library.

    The program was moved to the library because Marion County Public Schools will be closed. Musicians and music lovers of all ages are welcome to attend this program, which is sponsored by Farmers National Bank.

  • Marion County schools are closed Friday

    Marion County Public Schools will be closed Friday, Jan. 24, due to hazardous road conditions in the eastern part of the county and extreme low temperatures, according to Superintendent Taylora Schlosser. 

    According to the National Weather Service, overnight temperatures will reach -3. Tomorrow's high will be 19 degrees with wind chills values as low as -11 degrees.

  • Shipp sentenced to life in prison for killing deputy

     Dewayne Shipp has been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Marion County Sheriff's Deputy Anthony Rakes.

    Shipp, 50, of McDaniels pled guilty to Rakes' murder in December. At that time, the Commonwealth's Attorney recommended life in prison without the possibility of parole.

    Marion Circuit Judge Dan Kelly formally sentenced Shipp to life without parole on Thursday. Shipp was also give 10 years for possession of a handgun by a convicted felon to be served consecutively to his murder sentence.

  • Electrical fire reported on North Forest Wednesday

     The Lebanon Fire Department helped minimize the damage from a fire at 235 N. Forest Street on Wednesday morning.

    The Lebanon Police Dispatch received a call reporting the fire at 5:11 a.m. Jan. 22.

    "It was all contained up in the attic," Lebanon Fire Chief Ricky Mattingly said.

    He added that the fire appears to have started due to an electrical short, and Mattingly said he believes space heaters were a factor in causing the fire.