UPDATE: Epps apologizes to family, friends, community

-A A +A

He resigned as basketball coach after being arrested for DUI, reckless driving

By The Staff

Anthony Epps resigned as the Marion County High School boys basketball coach following his arrest early Saturday morning for driving under the influence.

Epps was arrested June 18, according to Captain David Earl Gribbins of the Marion County Detention Center and Sgt. Mike Luckett with the Lebanon Police Department.

In an email statement, Epps apologized to his family, friends, the school administration and to the community.

"I know now that I have a problem and will  seek the proper help in dealing with it," Epps wrote.

He met with Assistant Superintendent Taylora Schlosser and MCHS Athletics Director Stacey Hall Saturday morning. Schlosser is the acting superintendent until July 1, when Chuck Hamilton will officially become the superintendent of Marion County Schools. Hall will officially become the MCHS principal on July 1 as well.

Schlosser said Epps contacted her this morning to tell her of his decision. She said she accepted his resignation as the boys basketball coach at 11:45 a.m. Saturday.

"He came to tell us he felt like this was the best decision for him personally and for the program," Schlosser said.

She added that he did not resign from his position as an instructional assistant in the special education program at the high school.

Hall and the MCHS Site-Based Decision Making Council will begin a search for a new boys basketball coach next week, Schlosser said. 

Assistant Coaches Matthew Thomas and Mark Bell will take over coaching duties in the interim, and the summer practices and camps will continue as planned, Schlosser said.

Look for more on this story in the June 22 print edition of the Enterprise.


Second arrest in eight months

Epps was arrested around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning by Lebanon Police Officer Quent Cardwell, who stopped Epps near Country Club Drive and Eastland Drive, Luckett said. Epps is facing charges of DUI and reckless driving.

At 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Epps posted 10 percent of his $5,000 bond and was released.

This is his second arrest in the past eight months. He was previously arrested Oct. 23, 2010, at 2:06 a.m. near Hamilton Heights. He was originally charged with DUI in that incident. Arresting Officer Greg Young conducted field tests, but Epps declined to take a Breathalyzer after he spoke with an attorney.

Then-Superintendent Donald Smith suspended Epps for 10 days following the October arrest.

On May 5, Epps pled guilty to an amended charge of reckless driving. The charge was amended based on an affidavit and a witness. He was ordered to pay a $200 fine. His license was suspended for 120 days, although a pretrial license suspension had been issued Nov. 15, 2010.

Editor's note: Stevie Lowery, Stephen Lega and Josh and Jessica Veatch all contributed to this story.